CCEDD – Research and Special Projects Manager
- Research and Special Projects Manager
- Charles County Economic Development Department
- Salary: $72,061.57
- Closing Date: Open until filled
Acts as the Research and Special Projects Manager for the Charles County Economic Development Department (CCEDD). Works in a supporting role to implement Departmental goals and objectives. With guidance from the Deputy Director, develops and responds to requests for economic and related statistical and demographic information. Serves as the primary local source and provider of comprehensive economic and other statistical data on the Charles County economy, workforce, and economic profile relative to other jurisdictions in the region and State.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops and maintains County business census and engages in data collection and reporting as it pertains to local business demographics. Establishes and prioritizes economic, workforce, and other related data needs.
- Coordinates with the Deputy Director and Chief of Business Services, develops and implements tracking systems to determine new business openings, closings, and jobs gained and lost.
- Compiles statistics related to local business profiles, industry clusters, and location quotients.
- Assists the Deputy Director in the development of CCEDD information for use in County bond offering documents and rating agency presentations.
- Supports the Chief of Commercial Development with research, reports, and other related projects as needed.
- Works with the Chief of Business Services develops questionnaires and other survey instruments to identify local or regional business needs and key locational factors in support of an on-going local business development outreach program. Assists in the compilation, analysis, and presentation of data and information gathered from the program.
- Supports Deputy Director, Chief of Commercial Development, Chief of Business Services, and EDD marketing initiatives by providing timely, informative, and relevant economic and demographic data and reports as directed.
- Develops County economic forecasts and trends reports.
- Undertakes economic related statistical research and updates key indicators on a continuous basis.
- Prepares statistical data, charts, and graphs for County and industry/company specific marketing efforts and other presentations.
- Maintains department files of data from publicly available and frequently-used sources such as the U.S. Census, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the State of Maryland in shared folders ensuring that such data are always current and readily available. Develops calendar for data releases from all regularly used sources to ensure updates are added in a timely manner.
- Responds to requests from other County Government departments or from the public for data about Charles County.
- Ensures that data used in marketing materials – including the CCEDD website MeetCharlesCounty.com – are the most current data available. Recommends web site narratives and statistical reports/updates.
- Studies and recommends the procurement and appropriate utilization of specialized economic and demographic data and supplementary research and statistical analysis and presentation professional services. Prepares RFPs, sole source justifications, or purchase orders related thereto with guidance from the Deputy Director.
- Develops and recommends metrics to the Director and Deputy Director for measuring CCEDD progress, effectiveness, and return on investment. Implements routines and systems to capture and quantify such data.
- Coordinates with the Maryland Department of Commerce and other state and federal agencies in securing and providing relevant County economic and business statistical information on a recurring basis or by special request.
- Analyzes and reviews fiscal and economic impact analyses commissioned or requested by CCEDD to justify incentives and other forms of County assistance. Prepares short economic or fiscal impact analyses at the direction of the Deputy Director and Chief of Commercial Development.
- Prepares maps and secures GIS related economic and demographic information for CCEDD presentations and marketing efforts.
- Maintains, uses, and analyzes data on available land and buildings. Maintains available land and building pages on the department website, working with real estate representatives to identify properties in the County for inclusion on the site and provide access to agents for listing properties. Uses real estate subscription web site to identify available properties for site searches, gathers local and regional real estate market trends and related demographics, and prepares real estate reports requested by the Chief of Business Services, the Deputy Director, Chief of Commercial Development or at the incumbent’s own initiative.
- Directs targeted industry studies and proposed additions/deletions to the County’s targeted industry list as warranted.
- Researches and recommends economic development performance metrics and manages their tracking, compilation, and reporting, ensuring that department metrics for regular County government reports are thorough, accurate, and delivered in a timely manner.
- Supports planning and execution of Department events, such as the Annual Fall Meeting, Quarterly Business Roundtables, and business training events. May be called upon to be project lead on events; may work with vendors or community partners in the event planning process.
- Supports CCEDD business retention and expansion programs by working directly with local business owners and managers to provide assistance as needed.
- Performs grant research, writing and management for Federal, State, Local, and private grant programs.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economic Development, Economics, Real Estate, Statistics, or related field. Four (4) years of experience with research analysis, spreadsheets, and economic and demographic related databases desired at federal, state, local or college/university level, or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training.
Licenses or Certifications:
Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Employee is subject to work beyond normal scheduled work hours.
Travel may be required on an infrequent basis for training and economic development events.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of research and statistical methodologies
- Knowledge of conventional business practices and cultures
- Knowledge of sources of economic and demographic information
- Knowledge of Microsoft computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Skill in interpreting and synthesizing sometimes conflicting economic data.
- Skill in designing research studies and survey instruments.
- Skill in developing power point presentations and charts and graphs in readable and understandable formats.
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Ability to reason analytically and perform statistical analyses and summaries.
- Ability to work with people possessing different levels of technical knowledge.
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to use and develop computer spreadsheets and databases.
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and presentations on data and statistics for a non-technical audience.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality related to EDD clients and client information and be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement.
The work is sedentary with frequent periods of walking and standing. Typical positions require workers to lift and carry up to 20 pounds; climb stairs; bend and crouch; reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards; and requires the ability to speak normally, to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Principal duties of this job are performed in a general office environment.
For more information and to apply online, please visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/charlescountymd/jobs/4154728/research-and-special-projects-manager