City of Hyattsville – Economic Development Coordinator
- Economic Development Coordinator
- Hyattsville, MD
- Filing Deadline: open until filled
FLSA: Exempt | Full Benefit Eligibility | Grade: 114
(Commensurate with exp and education.)
NATURE OF WORK
This non-supervisory position is responsible for assisting with the implementation of the City’s Business & Economic Development Strategic Plan and other Department priorities. The Coordinator will play a key role in the division’s support of local small business and creation of a diverse and strong local economy through thoughtful programming, policies, and property development.
This position will assist with maintaining accurate and timely data related to including but not limited to retail development, small/business, and entrepreneurial support, and lead special projects at the direction of the Director of Business and Economic Development.
- Assist with business attraction and expansion initiatives.
- Provides coordination for economic development programs, including business events.
- Coordinates outreach to existing Hyattsville businesses to provide business retention and expansion assistance.
- Schedule meetings with existing businesses and prospective businesses.
- Providing 1-on-1 assistance to local businesses and responds to their inquiries.
- Assist with the planning and preparation of a quarterly Economic Development report.
- Assist with economic data collection and analysis.
- Assist the Director of Business and Economic Development with the existing business visitation program.
- Manages the implementation and oversight of City-funded business grant programs, including façade grants and the Corridor Investment Program grant.
- Conducts outreach efforts to at-home, co-working, seasonal, or non-corridor businesses.
- Helps develop promotional materials for the City to highlight local businesses through the City website, newsletter, and other social media platforms.
- Manages the economic development department’s calendar of events and provides any required event planning support.
- Manages economic development metrics tracking and reporting process.
- Assembles marketing collateral and materials for various required uses.
- Assists in the entry and management of the City’s business database.
- Researches, analyzes, and prepares a variety of reports including labor market trends and demographic information.
- Develops and maintains a business inventory of City businesses.
- Prepares and disseminates the Economic e-newsletter.
- Interacts with all City departments, the City Council, business community, and statewide organizations/associations, and various governmental agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities required to be successful are:
- An understanding of the current practices and ideas in the field of economic development.
- Knowledge of small business development sufficient to provide technical assistance to Hyattsville businesses looking to grow or locate in the City.
- An ability to build relationships across lines of difference with multiple economic development stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively communicate in both oral and written communications.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all information both external and internal to the City.
- Proficient in MS Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, with strong ability to put together PPT presentations.
- Impeccable organization skills with the ability to manage multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to work independently in a proactive, priority-based manner.
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Team player poised to assist other departments.
- Skills in oral and written communication.
- Skill in computers and job-related software programs
Minimum Qualifications include:
- Knowledge and level of competency associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to economic development or equivalent of experience in economic development.
- Sufficient experience to understand the major duties of the position and their underlying principles; usually associated with having a similar position for at least one to two years.
Preferred Candidates may possess the following:
- A familiarity with the Prince George’s County and DC metropolitan area.
- Possession of or ability to retain a valid driver’s license.
- Foreign language skills, with a focus on Spanish.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATION
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Maryland State Retirement Program (employee and city contributory plan)
- Employer-supported Defined Contribution Programs (401a and 457)
- Insurance (Health, Prescription, Life, AD&D, Dental & Vision) including FSA & dependent care.
- Annual and sick leave accruals
- Paid holidays, 11 annually.
- Direct deposit
- Employee Assistance Program
- Training and professional educational opportunities
- Annual bonus incentives for employees who reside in the city, are bilingual and/or use green transportation methods.
This class specification should not be interpreted as all-inclusive. It is intended to identify the essential functions and requirements of this job. Incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification. Please note that this description is not intended to describe all the duties associated with this position and the City in its sole discretion reserves the right to modify the duties of the position.
Any essential function or requirement of this class will be evaluated as necessary should an incumbent/applicant be unable to perform the function or requirement due to a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Reasonable accommodation for the specific disability will be made for the incumbent/applicant when possible.
The City of Hyattsville is an Equal Opportunity Employer without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or political or union affiliation.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered applicants are required to complete and submit a City of Hyattsville employment application which is available for download here, along with a resume, cover letter, and three professional references to the attention of Jerome Joyner, Director of Human Resources to firstname.lastname@example.org.