Senior Commercial Loan Underwriter (SBA)
Title: Senior Commercial Loan Underwriter (SBA)
Salary Range: $85,000 – $90,000
Status: Full-time, Salaried Position with Fringe Benefits
FSC First provides access to financing to small and minority businesses through distinct loan products. The loans are a product of public-private partnerships between a consortium of participating banks, Prince George’s County, Maryland, and FSC First.
FSC First is the premier lending partner for businesses in the region, providing creative and innovative financing to grow and sustain the local economy.
FSC First is a reliable provider of creative and innovative business financing solutions to established and emerging businesses in the State of Maryland. We also provide comprehensive loan administration services for loan programs that stimulate the growth and development of the local economy.
The Senior Commercial Loan Underwriter (SCLU) will be responsible for credit analysis, loan underwriting and loan packaging for the U.S. Small Business Administration’s (SBA) loans. The SCLU may also be required to assist in the underwriting of FSC’s various cash flow-based alternative financing programs. Under administrative direction of the Vice President of Business Finance Programs, the SCLU performs work of unusual difficulty in structuring commercial real estate, business and working capital loan transactions that are guaranteed by the SBA and/or combine several non-traditional financing assistance programs to leverage traditional bank and other financing.
- Works collaboratively with the Loan Administration team to underwrite and perform closings for commercial and business loans.
- Ensures that prospective and current clients’ needs are addressed timely and in accordance with stated Policy & Procedures, SBA SOP and FSC’s operating procedures.
- The Subject Matter Expert and Liaison to the U.S. Small Business Administration for the SBA 504 and Community Advantage Loan Programs.
- Identifies and meets the financing needs of present/potential pre-bankable customers seeking commercial business loans.
- Determines and justifies the terms and conditions of those loans and handles the daily interaction with customers and prospects.
- Prepare high-quality, detailed credit approval documents that contain an in-depth analysis and an understanding and identification of credit issues and risks.
- Consult with team members and VP of Business Finance Programs to recommend proper loan structuring that limits risk to the organization.
- Spread and interpret financial statements, tax returns and projections.
- Order and review third-party reports, appraisals and valuations (real estate, equipment, business, etc.) as required.
- Maintain a satisfactory level of customer service to all (internal and external customers) and maintain satisfactory level of communication with all partners.
- Adhere to all compliance requirements established by the SBA and FSC’s Internal Controls and the Loan Administration Credit Policy & Procedures, including timely completion of online compliance training modules.
- Assist all partners (closing, portfolio, operations) in the closing and booking of commercial loans.
- Reviews the official SBA authorization and loan agreement for accuracy and to ensure the terms and conditions correspond with the approved credit authorization.
- Assist in improving and streamlining the credit delivery process.
- Acts as the systems administrator and subject matter expert for CDC Ventures.
- Assist with implementing marketing initiatives to promote the availability of the programs to local businesses.
- Works with the Management team to develop new products as needed, and helps sell FSC’s capabilities to an expanding array of constituencies.
- Work closely with Management to support efforts to meet lending goals and objectives.
- Participates in local economic development organization and prospect meetings.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with private sector, county, state, and federal organizations.
- Presents recommended loan approvals to Loan Review Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Provides monthly activity reports that include, but are not limited to, underwriting pipeline and loan closing status.
- Understanding of SBA Compliance and Reporting requirements
- Represents the Vice President and President and CEO as directed at various functions and forums.
- Assists the Vice President who also serves as Prince George’s County EDI Fund Manager with complex credit analysis for multi-million dollar projects.
- Other duties as directed by the Vice President of Business Finance Programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Finance, Finance and/or Economics or related field.
- 5 years of extensive experience in economic development, SBA commercial underwriting or related industry.
- Excellent credit analysis skills. Demonstrated underwriting experience with U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) policy and programs especially SBA 504 Real Estate loans.
- Strong understanding of SBA SOP.
- Ability to maintain productive and effective working relations with pre-bankable prospects.
- Experience with CDC Ventures loan processing software
- Advanced knowledge of MS Excel and MS Office Suite
- Excellent verbal, communication and writing skills
- Some local travel and occasional evening work for special events.
- The position requires a flexible, conscientious, detail-oriented individual who can perform varied tasks with considerable organizational skills and creativity, and who can work largely independently but collaborate with the Loan Administration Team.
Reports to: Vice President, Business Finance Programs
How to Apply:
Submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume to: Dawn Medley, Vice President, Business Finance Programs, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to FSC First, 1801 McCormick Drive, Suite 300, Largo, MD 20774. www.fscfirst.com
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com