Public Policy Awareness
MEDA has adopted an effort to promote economic development as a valuable investment for Maryland, its counties, and its municipalities.
This committee will make MEDA members aware of Public Policy that may have an impact in Maryland at both the state and local levels. It will also work to inform elected and appointed officials about economic development.
The Public Policy Awareness Committee
Rhonda J. Ray, Director, Maryland Department of Commerce
Sean M. Looney, Vice President, State Government Affairs, Comcast
- Laurie Boyer, CEcD, Executive Director, Rockville Economic Development, Inc.
- Darrell A. Brown, Director, Charles County Economic Development Department
- Shawn P. Hershberger, Executive Director, Cumberland Economic Development Corporation
- Daniel K. Thompson, Executive Director, Somerset County Economic Development Commission
- Lawrence F. Twele, CEcD, CEO, Howard County Economic Development Authority
MEDA and The MEDA Foundation, Inc. do not take a position on any bills and do not lobby. The following links are provided for the purpose of informing our members.
Legislative Briefing (2017 update) – This document provides a brief overview of the Maryland General Assembly, Maryland’s 90 Day Legislative Session, and the process for a bill to become a law. Also included are a list of the committees Maryland Commerce monitors and a budget hearing schedule for agencies with an impact on economic development.
The Maryland Department of Commerce tracks bills that impact economic development. Here’s a link to a PDF with bill details (updated January 30, 2017).