MEDA Economic Development Fellows Program

The MEDA Economic Development Fellows Program aims to build the capacity of the next generation of change-makers in economic development. This program contributes to our mission of enhancing the skills and knowledge of those committed to impacting Maryland’s economic landscape and business climate.

The fellows inside this program will receive exceptional, proven training as well as real-world job experience in economic development organizations throughout the state of Maryland.   

Program Overview 

 MEDA fellows will work to strengthen existing economic development organizations throughout the state. The objectives for the fellowship program include: 

  • Improve the quality and capacity of economic development work and program implementation throughout the state by increasing the number of experienced professionals available to work within the sector. 
  • Build the technical and professional capacity of local young professionals to respond to economic development demands. 

Fellows will spend 20 percent of their time enrolled in a professional development program designed to strengthen their technical skills in the economic development sector. The remaining 80 percent of their time will be spent working across sectors to support economic development work with chosen partner organizations.  

The professional development program will include the completion of The Chesapeake Basic Economic Development Course (approval pending). Fellows will also be matched with a MEDA mentor for coaching and reporting. Fellows will work remotely for the duration of the program (subject to change after pandemic outbreak).  

Outreach efforts for Fellow recruitment will target universities within the University of Maryland system (as well as partner institutions) and historically black colleges to ensure diversity within the program. Fellows will work remotely for the duration of the four months (subject to change after the pandemic outbreak). Fellows will also be paid for their work at a rate of $20/hr. 

Applicant Eligibility: 

Potential Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements: 

  • Must have graduated (Bachelors’s or Masters’s degree) in the Spring Semester of 2020. 
  • Must have a degree in an economic development-related field (e.g. business, economics, nonprofit studies, communications, etc.) 
  • Must have own transportation, internet connection, and laptop/ desktop (site requirements will vary).  
  • Students must have graduated with a 2.7 GPA or higher. Student experience may vary; however, high academic achievement is preferred. 
  • Students must demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills. 
  • Students must submit a written endorsement from a professor in an economic development-related field.  

Application: 

The application for this program is unavailable at this time. The application will open early fall of 2020. For updates about this program, please be sure to include yourself on our email list. Sign up here 

EDO’s: 

If you are an Economic Development Organization (EDO) looking to become a partner organization, please reach out to Pam Ruff at