The Lofton Scholarship Fund
The MEDA Professional Development Committee, with full authority of the Board of Directors, is very pleased to announce that we will award scholarships this year to MEDA members in good standing through the Lofton Scholarship Fund. Our intention is to make the application process simple by allowing you to submit all documents through our email system.
We invite all members to apply. Please review the criteria below and send your request for consideration.
The Lofton Scholarship Fund Committee
- David W. Edgerley, Senior Vice President, Brokerage and Acquisitions, Scheer Partners
- Heather M. Gramm, CEcD, Assistant Director, Frederick County Office of Economic Development
- Richard G. Griffin, CEcD, Director, City of Frederick, Economic Development
- Keasha N. Haythe, CEcD, Business Development Associate, Anne Arundel Economic Development Corporation
- Michael S. Lofton, CEcD,
- Robert W. McGlotten, CEcD, Director of Marketing & Communications,
- Maryland Biotechnology Center
- Richard W. Story, CEcD, Senior Vice President, Community Relations &
- Governmental Affairs and Business, Howard Bank
- Timothy R. Troxell, CEcD, Manager, Customer Support, Potomac Edison Company
What is the Lofton Scholarship Fund?
The Lofton Scholarship Fund is an offering of the Maryland Economic Development Association (MEDA) and exists to support the growth of professional skills and knowledge by economic development practitioners in Maryland.
Objectives of the Fund:
- To provide funding to MEDA members for professional development opportunities in their economic development work.
- To provide funding to enable MEDA members to become eligible for certification to sit for the CEcD examination.
Criteria for Selection:
- Applicants must be MEDA members in good standing or have an application for membership pending (membership dues do not qualify as part of the scholarship).
- Applicants must demonstrate dedication to the profession and intent to continue within the field.
- Scholarships must be used within one year of award and cannot be used for training/courses completed prior to the award.
- Awardees are expected to give back to the organization in a meaningful way. Suggestions include but are not limited to:
- Contributing a silent auction item to help replenish the fund
- Assisting with registration at an upcoming conference
- Helping with outreach to potential sponsors
Any MEDA or IEDC course approved by the Professional Development Committee qualifies. Courses designated as prerequisites for CEcD certification or recertification and sitting for the certification examination are eligible. Training courses at conferences are eligible with committee approval. Conference and annual conference fees are not eligible for scholarship funds.
- Scholarships are limited to actual course registration costs. Scholarships also are limited to one scholarship per member each calendar year.
- Scholarship payments must be used for tuition, books, and application fees. Housing, meals, and travel costs are not included.
- Each recipient will be responsible for making his/her own travel arrangements and for applying for course enrollment.
- Members are encouraged to apply for scholarships and register for course attendance in a timely manner. Late course registration fees may be omitted from the final scholarship award at the discretion of the committee. All IEDC courses are online now at www.iedconline.org.
How to Apply for the Lofton Scholarship:
There are three parts of the application that should be submitted to the Scholarship Selection Committee. All documents must be submitted electronically using the form below to allow for seamless distribution to the committee.
- A letter of interest including the applicant’s name, title, company, phone number, and e-mail address, along with the applicant’s reasons for seeking the scholarship, the course he/she plans to take, and the estimated amount needed.
- The applicant’s resume.
- A letter of recommendation signed by the applicant’s employer.
When submitting a request for funding, please take into account our volunteer committee’s schedule and allow ample time for fair consideration.
Lofton Scholarship Application Form
In order to apply, you need to be a MEDA member. Not a member? Join now!