PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT IS THE CORNERSTONE OF THE ORGANIZATION AND A KEY BENEFIT OF MEMBERSHIP
The MEDA Professional Development Committee assists members in pursuit of their educational goals. The Committee delivers courses enabling members to become Certified Economic Developers (CEcD) and other courses enhancing professional skills. This committee also oversees the delivery of three IEDC courses in Maryland every year, mentors potential certification candidates, and works to include other courses throughout the year.
In January 2014, the Performance Oversight/Monitoring Committee of IEDC passed a recommendation that all first-time candidates sitting for the exam after December 31, 2014, must participate in a “Preparing for the CEcD Exam Workshop,” either in person or via webinar. This workshop provides candidates with a complete overview of the Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) exam process, from application to the oral examination. They will learn tools and techniques for preparing for the exam and witness a mock oral interview. The workshop is held at IEDC’s Annual Conference and Spring Conference each year, and they plan to hold at least one webinar each year in addition to the in-person workshops. Upcoming dates for the webinars are on the IEDC website, and are free of charge.
MEDA members are encouraged to take advantage of the Lofton Scholarship Fund for their professional development needs. MEDA’s board through the Lofton Scholarship Committee will award scholarships to members in good standing for approved courses. MEDA members may use the IEDC members rate for all courses held in Maryland. Late course registration fees may be omitted from the final scholarship award at the discretion of the committee.
2018 -2019 Maryland Course Schedule
- June 14-15, 2018: Strategic Planning for Economic Development – Baltimore, Maryland
- July 23 – 26, 2018: Chesapeake Basic Economic Development Course – Baltimore, Maryland
- November 8-9, 2018: Managing Economic Development Organizations – Baltimore, Maryland
- February 19 – 20, 2019: Business Retention & Expansion (BRE) – Baltimore, Maryland
- February 21 – 22, 2019: Workforce Development – Baltimore, Maryland
- July 22 – 25, 2019: Chesapeake Basic Economic Development Course – Baltimore, Maryland
- September 19 – 20, 2019: Neighborhood Development – Baltimore, Maryland
Visit the Certification page to learn more about the certification process, mentorship opportunities and study materials available for exam preparation.