IEDC Course: Real Estate Development & Reuse
This course is held in partnership with the International Economic Development Council and in conjunction with Economic Development Marketing and Attraction on February 27-28. Register for both, and save on travel costs!
This course clearly articulates the eight stage process for real estate development and reuse. Specifically, course participants will learn the fundamentals of market and site analysis, financial feasibility, and what political considerations are required to move a development project from conception to realization. Additionally, this course will cover a wide variety of financing tools that are available at the local, regional, and state levels, including tax increment financing, bond financing, tax credits, tax abatements, land assembly, and brownfield redevelopment. Multiple in-class case studies will be used to help participants work through actual financial and regulatory problems.
• Housing, retail, office, industrial, hotel, and mixed use development
• The regulatory and approval process including zoning and permitting
• Assessing community involvement and political feasibility
• Public, private and nonprofit financial modeling
• Understanding the pro forma operating statement structure
• Property valuation and capitalization rates
• Brownfield redevelopment phase structure and liability
• Request for qualification/proposal process