Maryland Resilience & Economic Recovery Workshop Series #1
- This event has passed.
Maryland is no stranger to disasters, but did you know that who you partner with and a discussion of roles in advance can make a significant difference in economic recovery? Join us for a timely and stimulating discussion between emergency managers and economic developers as we hear lessons learned in recovery, how to assist small businesses, how to use the latest technology tools and more.
Participants are invited to join the event in person or virtually. Agenda:
10:00 a.m. Welcome & Participant Introductions – Stephen Jordan, CEO ISD10:35 a.m. Host’s Welcome – Larry Twele, CEO Howard County Economic Development
10:45 a.m. Ryan Miller, Principal, Critical Systems LLC will introduce Russell Strickland, Executive Director, Maryland Emergency Management Agency on MEMA’s Vision for Resilience in Maryland
11:00 a.m. New BRIC mitigation program and Emergency Management Discussion – facilited by Russ Strickland.
• April Cummings, FEMA Region 3 Director of Mitigation
• Jack Markey, Frederick County Director of Emergency Management
11:30 a.m. “From Stream Beds to Outer Space: Innovations that Reduce Disaster Risk and Inform Disaster Recovery,” Chuck Rubeck, Executive Director of MD Innovation Center, facilitator
• Dr. Miguel Román, Executive Director, Earth from Space Institute – Black Marble Project
• Brian Cleary, PE, Howard County DPW Stormwater Management – County Flood Alert Network
12:00 noon “Role of Economic Developers and Resources in Disaster Recovery” Introduction by Pamela Ruff, Executive Director, Maryland Economic Development Association
• Hon. Kelly Schulz, Maryland State Secretary of Commerce
12:30 p.m. “Creative Financing and building capacity to help small businesses after a disaster”, Lynn Knight, CEcD, presentation and discussion
1:15 p.m. U.S. Economic Development Administration – Alma Plummer, Economic Development Representative for Maryland and Washington DC
1:30 p.m. “Roundtable Discussion: Connecting the dots Between Emergency Management and Economic Development”, Moderator Stephen Jordan
• Ryan Miller, Principal, Critical Functions LLC
• Larry Twele, CEO, Howard County Economic Development Authority
2:00 p.m. Close