BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT AND RETENTION SPECIALIST
Worcester County Department of Recreation, Tourism and Economic Development
Worcester County Job Opportunities
Department: Department of recreation, parks, tourism and economic development
Job Title: business development and retention specialist
Salary/grade: Non-Classified; Based on Qualifications
Application Period: Until Filled
Job Summary: This position will oversee and manage the operations, business development function and will report directly to the Director of Tourism and Economic Development. Responsibilities will include a full range of economic development marketing and communication which is coordinated with local, state and regional partners.
- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Pre-employment background check and motor vehicle history
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with less than 4 points
- Essential personnel available for immediate call back if necessary and the ability to work day, evening, or weekends for meetings, training, or events.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Create, manage, and administer programs and initiatives that support the County’s Economic Development goals and objective.
- Establish and implement a county-wide business attraction, retention, and expansion program.
- Maintain and proactively build market research and information to qualify and quantify Worcester’s competitive assets and business profile
- Serve as the County’s designated business ambassador to help business owners and operators identify services and resources that support their goals/growth
- Respond to request for information from prospective companies, research grant opportunities, and act as a liaison to connect business with local and state government resources.
- Proactively build and nurture positive relationships with county business leaders in workforce development, higher education, and target industry sectors (agriculture, health care, small business, real estate, and hospitality.
- Service as primary liaison with local, state, and federal partners including Worcester Career Technology (CTE), Chamber of Commerce, Maryland Department of Commerce, DLLR, Small Business Development Center, and the Small Business Association
- Represent Worcester County and actively participate in Economic Development leadership groups. within County, State and Region.
- Responsible for developing and keeping abreast of current Economic Development incentive programs.
- Participate in public relations and marketing of Worcester County, including public speaking engagement
- Network and develop potential business clients for location in Worcester County.
- Serve as the liaison and trouble-shooter for clients and the permit process and other County services.
- Conduct and coordinate independent research supporting business development activities; including statistical and demographic reports.
- Supervise the preparation and maintenance of information concerning commercial and industrial land and buildings for sale or lease, available employment training programs, etc.
- Coordinate appointments to show appropriate sites and buildings to potential prospects
- Coordinate activity between clients and real estate agents, attorneys, banks, engineers, and public agencies.
- Develop and execute business retention programs to support local companies.
- Facilitate revolving loan process for applicants; serve on community loan committees
- Develop, prepare and coordinate materials, presentations and other items to acquaint relocating/expanding business with Worcester County and its advantages.
- Maintain and update Website
- Manage social media initiatives
- Support and enforce Worcester County Personnel Rules & Regulations.
- Comply and enforce safety programs, policies, and work safely
- Ensures confidentiality of information and records and complies with record retention schedule
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Recreation, Parks, Tourism and Economic Development or Director of Tourism and Economic Development
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Graduate from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree preferably in Economics, Business or Public Administration, and completion of 4 years work experience in economic development, workforce development, real estate or other closely related marketing experience, which may include at least 2 years at a supervisory level.
- Knowledge of Economic Development practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of commercial and industrial real estate markets and ability to match client needs to available locations.
- Above average oral and written communication skills necessary to prepare reports, prepare and deliver public presentation, and provide leadership and motivation to department employees,
- Ability to effectively access and utilize computerized systems and equipment (e.g. MS Office, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint)
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relations with elected and appointed officials, business executives, developers and related professionals and the general public.
- Experience with Maryland state and federal grant/loan programs for businesses
- Knowledgeable about Worcester County zoning requirements and permit processes
- Experience in program and project management
- Advanced analytical skills and the ability to prepare reports as required.
- Ability to work with and carry-out the directive and policies of the County Commissioners and work harmoniously with other official and agencies.
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision and minimal direction
- Self-starter that takes initiative and has a sense of urgency
- Experience writing marketing plans
- Experience with social media plans and platforms
(Rarely (<5% of the time), Occasional (5-25% of the time), Frequent (25-75% of the time); Constant (<75% of the time)
Sedentary work; Constant sitting, viewing; Frequent talking, hearing; Occasional pushing, pulling, carrying, lifting up to 30 lbs. No known significant hazard risk.
To apply for this job please visit www.co.worcester.md.us.