Business Development Rep – Retail and Commercial Services
- Baltimore County Department of Economic and Workforce Development has an immediate opening for an Economic Development Representative responsible for engaging and establishing strong working relations directly with the County’s retailers, shopping centers, malls, and main street corridor businesses.
This is an exciting opportunity to help grow Baltimore County’s local economy by developing new business development initiatives, identifying the needs of our retail and commercial employers, and creating innovative strategies to meet the needs of our diverse economy.
Applicants should have an interest in growing local businesses, enthusiastic about implementing innovative strategies, and establishing long-lasting relationships with Baltimore County businesses.
Interested applicants, please attach your resume and a short cover letter.
Regular Schedule: Non- Merit, 34 hours per week, plus County benefits.
Non-Merit positions are not classified within the Baltimore County Government Classification and Compensation Plan.
A list of eligible applicants will be established based on the examination as outlined below.
Current and future vacancies occurring in any Office or Department of Baltimore County General Government may be filled from the list of eligible applicants.
All interested candidates must apply at this time.
List all promotions and changes in job duties due to reclassification as separate work experience on your application. Applicants must include the dates of the promotions and reclassifications.
Note: Failure to complete all fields of the “Work Experience” section of the application will result in your application not being considered. A resume will not be considered in determining your qualifications for a position.
- Examples of Duties
- Job Purpose
Under general supervision, the Economic Development officer is responsible for engaging and establishing strong relationships with Baltimore County retailers, shopping centers, malls, main street corridors, and commercial property owners/developers/brokers by providing economic and business development services and programs. Key responsibilities include:
- Becoming the County’s Subject-Matter-Expert on the retail industry by Identifying, developing and maintaining close business connections with Baltimore County’s major shopping center developers, retail-corridor property owners, locally owned commercial businesses, commercial real estate brokers, and restaurants.
- Proactively promoting Baltimore County’s business assistance, incentive, and technical programs to retail businesses, tenants, and commercial property owners.
- Acting as the main point of contact with all Baltimore County Chambers of Commerce (located in Commercial Revitalization districts?) by attending meetings and meeting with executive directors.
- Understanding the retail needs and desires of local residents by collaborating with Baltimore County’s Department of Planning and Office of Community Engagement on initiatives and public input meetings.
- Meeting new businesses and increasing Baltimore County’s connectivity and responsiveness to them by developing a retail engagement strategy to drive growth and community engagement.
Essential Job Duties
- Conceptualize and lead the vision for developing new retail business engagement strategy by collaborating with community groups, other County Departments, local Chambers, and Tourism.
- Develop strong relationships with shopping center and mall owners, existing Commercial Revitalization District businesses, restaurants and Chambers of Commerce.
- Understand and disseminate information on County and State business assistance programs, loan programs, and tax incentives available to retailers and commercial businesses.
- Act as the Economic Development liaison for the Department of Planning and Office of Community Engagement.
- Represent Baltimore County Economic Development at business meetings, networking events, roundtables as needed.
- Meet, network, and build relationships with key property owners, developers and the real estate community, and closely monitor transformative projects.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Graduation from college or university with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Possess outstanding professional credentials and at least 5 years’ experience within the following fields:
- Economic Development
- Retail Management
- Real Estate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extremely professional and organized with the ability to manage and lead multiple tasks and priorities.
- General familiarity with real estate development, zoning, lease/sales agreements, permitting process, transportation and utilities infrastructure practices and processes.
- Comfortable in public settings and events with the desire to meet new people and contacts.
- Economic Development Professional with a background in sales, client development, or strong customer services is a plus.
- Must be reliable and responsive to business clients.
- Working knowledge of business practices, procedures and processes; and of business assistance programs.
- Operational skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and other Windows-based software systems, and client management systems.
- Be able to work within a team but also independently on assigned tasks.
Proof of Degree Equivalency
Applicants who have obtained a degree from outside the United States of America are required to submit degree equivalence documentation from World Education Services, Inc. (www.WES.org)
Mail or deliver documents to:
ATTN: Retail and Commercial – Economic Development Representative Non-Merit
Office of Human Resources
Baltimore County Government
308 Allegheny Ave.
Towson, MD 21204
Applicants will be qualified based on an evaluation of their training and experience, as stated on their application, which includes answers to the supplemental questions. Applicants must state the dates and duties of past and present experience clearly and completely for evaluation purposes.
- Conditions of Employment
- This is a standard, non-merit 34 hours per week position, which includes full County benefits including outstanding health insurance, pension, and paid sick/vacation/personal leave
New employees are strongly encouraged to get COVID-19 vaccination.
Employees hired after July 1, 2022 are required to participate in the Baltimore County Employees’ Retirement System, with very limited exceptions.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
The work of this classification entails frequent walking, standing, and other limited physical activities.
Medical Examination and Employment Background Investigation
Applicants selected for an appointment to a position in Baltimore County must successfully complete a physical examination and drug screen and an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to a criminal background, education, and fingerprint check.
- Baltimore County
308 Allegheny Avenue
Towson, Maryland, 21204
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.