Consultant, Economic Development
Job Function: Customer Service
Requisition ID: 67564
FirstEnergy at a GlanceWe are a forward-thinking electric utility powered by a diverse team of employees committed to making customers’ lives brighter, the environment better and our communities stronger.
FirstEnergy (NYSE: FE) is dedicated to integrity, safety, reliability and operational excellence. Headquartered in Akron, Ohio, FirstEnergy includes one of the nation’s largest investor-owned electric systems, more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions, and a regulated generating fleet with a total capacity of more than 3,500 megawatts.
About the Opportunity
This is an open position with FirstEnergy Service Co., a subsidiary of FirstEnergy Corp.
This position is accountable for leading economic development efforts for the company in Maryland and West Virginia, encouraging capital investment by traded sector companies, improving the economic wellbeing of the communities we serve and providing support for Maryland and West Virginia State Operations. The individual will utilize the local relationship network with state, regional and local economic development organizations as well as real estate brokers and developers to promote economic development.
This position will be classified as Mobile with primary work location as home, but may work at or visit a facility, based on business need.
The reporting location for this position is Williamsport, MD or Fairmont, WV.
- Proactively identify and manage relationships with state, regional and local development organizations
- Develop a work plan to generate business leads and capital investment in our service territory in Maryland and West Virginia.
- Serve as a key resource to coworkers in Customer Engagement, External Affairs, Customer Accounts, Engineering and State Operating Company leadership.
- Manage and respond to requests for information from economic development prospects and economic development organizations, particularly around electric infrastructure, electric rates, available building and sites, economic and community information.
- Support the overall economic development efforts for FirstEnergy, including FE employee involvement on economic development organization boards.
- Building trusting, supportive relationships with all FirstEnergy departments operating within the assigned territory;
- Acting as a key company representative while working with all customers and constituents to ensure the highest level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Identifying and resolving problems before they become major issues.
- Actively seeking and sharing knowledge of industry trends, competitors, etc., that affect FirstEnergy.
- Assume other duties and special assignments as necessary, including assisting in storm duty
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Marketing or Geography or related degree is required. Advanced degree is preferred;
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience with emphasis on demonstrated problem-solving skills and customer service is required.
- Exceptional relationship management, leadership and teamwork skills;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Economic development or certification preferred
- Knowledge of electric utility operations and business practices preferred
- Demonstrated ability to function with minimum direction using a broad range of discretion to meet strategic objectives;
- Outstanding public relations skills
- Able to attend meetings and events before and after normal working hours, including weekends is required;
- Able to work extended hours, particularly during storms, with little notice is required;
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint and Word) and experience with Microsoft Outlook.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of ethical behavior, ability to maintain confidentiality and have a safety-first focus.
Benefits, Compensation & Workforce Diversity
At FirstEnergy, employees are key to our success. We depend on their talents to meet the challenges of our changing business environment. We are committed to rewarding individual and team efforts through our total rewards philosophy which includes competitive pay plus incentive compensation, a company-sponsored pension plan, 401(k) savings plan with matching employer contribution, a choice of medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, and life insurance programs, as well as skills development training with tuition reimbursement. Please visit our website at www.firstenergycorp.com to learn more about all of our employee rewards programs. FirstEnergy proudly supports workforce diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. No recruiters or agencies without a previously signed contract. Unable to sponsor or transfer H-1B visas at this time.
Safety is a core value for FirstEnergy and is essential to all of our business activities. We ensure employees have the tools, information, and processes to perform their duties in a manner that assures safety for themselves, their co-workers, our customers and the public. Our goals are to provide a safe work environment, to maintain an accident-free, injury-free workplace, and to promote and maintain public safety. To meet these goals, we dedicate ourselves to achieving world-class safety standards.
FirstEnergy Human Resources Team
Nearest Major Market: Hagerstown
Job Segment: Marketing Consultant, Real Estate, Facilities, PR, Relationship Manager, Marketing, Sales, Operations, Customer Service
To apply for this job please visit careers.firstenergycorp.com.