Deputy Director, Economic Development
St. Mary's County Government
POSITION: Deputy Director, Economic Development – C11,
$77,628 – $90,026 (B.O.E.) + FRINGE BENEFITS
DEPARTMENT: Economic Development
OPENING DATE: 07-03-19 CLOSING DATE: 07-31-19
Education: Bachelor’s degree
Experience: Seven years or more of related professional experience, or additional education in a specialized area
Note: Any equivalent technical training, education and/or education and experience which have provided the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below may be considered.
- Negative drug test result from pre-employment drug screen;
- Pass extensive background check with favorable results;
- Successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States prior to employment.
JOB SUMMARY: Assists the Director of the Department of Economic Development in coordinating, directing, and assessing the work of department staff to facilitate the achievement of departmental goals and objectives; works under the general direction of the Department Director with latitude for independent action and judgment and is evaluated on the contribution to the efficiency of the Department and the effectiveness of program goals and objectives; performs other duties as assigned.
- Works under the direction of the Department Director to facilitate the day-to-day management of the Department;
- Oversees and provides technical management for all operations, activities, and programs within the assigned department;
- Develops, presents, and defends professional recommendations about various departmental proposals;
- Enforces policies and procedures governing the administration of various county administered programs;
- Oversees the operating budgets and staffing requirements; reviews, evaluates, and makes recommendations regarding areas of responsibility;
- Analyzes technical performance reports, correspondence, and contracts;
- Provides supervision for department staff and direct supervision for mid-level department managers;
- Increases professional knowledge through attending workshops and conferences, participating in professional associations and activities, and reading professional and local publications;
- Oversee Departmental key initiatives: Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy, business retention and expansion and technology business development initiatives.
- Acts as liaison to groups such as the Chamber of Commerce, Housing Authority of St. Mary’s County and St. Mary’s County Community Development Corporation.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to gain advanced knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of St. Mary’s County Government in the absence of the Director, to the public;
- Advanced knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of department operations and services and of administrative management, and the ability to interpret same to staff and the public;
- Extensive knowledge of governmental fiscal policies, procedures, and legal mandates including the budget process;
- Extensive knowledge on modern research and investigative techniques and procedures;
- Extensive knowledge of the laws, statutes, and ordinances of the State of Maryland and St. Mary’s County;
- General knowledge of Naval installations.
- Ability to keep the Department Director and all relevant parties informed of all major issues and programs and to recommend changes as appropriate;
- Ability to supervise, plan, and coordinate the work of diverse staff in order to accomplish departmental goals and objectives;
- Ability to review, evaluate, and initiate appropriate action on technical and legal reports, contracts, and documents concerning departmental matters;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with county officials, associates, subordinates, representatives from other agencies, and the general public;
- Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet and database information retrieval;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
Work requires no unusual demand for physical effort.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices or meeting rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, and/or avoidance of trips and falls.
Hiring Salary: $77,628 – $90,026 (B.O.E.) annually
St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applications will be screened for those who meet job requirements and have related experience. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview.
TO APPLY: A 2008 ST. MARY’S COUNTY GOVERNMENT APPLICATION IS REQUIRED. ALL PRIOR VERSIONS OF THE APPLICATION ARE OBSOLETE.
Applications are available at: Governmental Center, Potomac Building
Third Floor, Dept. of Human Resources
23115 Leonard Hall Drive, Leonardtown, MD
Phone: 301-475-4200 extension: 71100 Fax: 301-475-4082
Email: Website: www.stmarysmd.com
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please contact the ADA/FMLA Coordinator: or (301) 475-4200, Extension: 71110
Applications must be received in the Human Resources Department on or before the closing date regardless of the postmark date.
To apply for this job please visit www.stmarysmd.com.