Worcester County Government
DEPARTMENT: DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
JOB TITLE: DIRECTOR
SALARY/GRADE: NON-CLASSIFIED; BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS
APPLICATION PERIOD: UNTIL FILLED
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Economic Development is a highly responsible department head who will implement the County’s economic development strategic plan, including attraction, retention, expansion and establishment of new businesses to the county. This individual is appointed by the County Commissioners and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer. This position supervises the Deputy Director and Office Assistant.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes and facilitates the attraction, retention, expansion and establishment of new businesses to the county.
- Provides technical assistance to businesses directly, and through referrals to other agencies, to resolve issues, identify new markets, etc.
- Reviews business plans and makes recommendations as to appropriate financial assistance.
- Completes applications for loan and grant programs and does the necessary follow-up work.
- Testifies before local, state and federal agencies regarding economic development policies, legislation and programs and represents the County in meetings and conferences related to the same.
- Administers economic development programs, grants and projects originating at the federal, state, regional and local levels.
- Maintains liaison and serves on such boards, task forces and committees as required to further economic development in the County.
- Designs, develops and implements marketing campaigns.
- Functions as the principal liaison for Worcester County to the Maryland Department of Business and Economic Development. Works closely with representatives of the Department.
- Advises the County Commissioners as to economic development policies, programs and projects and meets with them as needed.
- Partners with state and federal agencies to share resources.
- Acts as the staff person to the Economic Development Advisory Board.
- Speaks before local business and civic organizations.
- Attend professional association meetings and conferences as required and travels out of state to meet with business prospects.
- Partners with other agencies and departments.
- Prepares marketing materials and maintains the web site.
- Support and enforce Worcester County Personnel Rules & Regulations.
- Supervise staff and make recommendations for same regarding personnel matters in accordance with the County’s personnel rules and regulations, including hiring and disciplinary action.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as directed by the Chief Administrative Officer and the County Commissioners.
- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Pre-employment background check and motor vehicle history
- Must maintain a valid driver’s license with less than 4 points
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Graduate from an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Business or Public Administration, and completion of five-year’s experience in economic and community development. Certified Economic Developer preferred.
- Experience in program and project management; supervisory skills; ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to prepare reports as required. Ability to work with and carry-out the directives and policies of the County Commissioners and work harmoniously with other officials and agencies.
- Above average oral and written communication skills necessary to prepare reports, prepare and deliver public presentations, provide leadership and motivation to department employees, communicate effectively and courteously with coworkers and the general public.
- Ability to work effectively with little supervision and minimal direction.
- Must be computer literate
- Valid driver’s license and driving record of less than 4 points (MD).
(Rarely (<5% of the time), Occasional (5-25% of the time), Frequent (25-75% of the time); Constant (<75% of the time)
Sedentary work; Constant sitting, viewing; Frequent talking, hearing; Occasional pushing, pulling, carrying, lifting up to 10 lbs. No known significant hazard risk.
Applications are available online: www.co.worcester.md.us
Please forward resumes and completed applications to:
Fax: 410-632-5614, or mail to: Department of Human Resources, Worcester County Government Center, Attn: Ann Hankins, One W. Market Street, Room 1301, Snow Hill, MD 21863-1213.
To apply for this job please visit www.co.worcester.md.us.