Executive Director, Pinkney Innovation Complex for Science and Technology
Website Montgomery College
Montgomery College (MC) in Maryland invites inquires, applications, and nominations for the position of Executive Director of The Pickney Innovation Complex for Science and Technology (PIC MC).
Chartered in 1946, Montgomery College has served the community with distinction and achieved a position of national prominence. Montgomery College is located in Montgomery County, Maryland – a vibrant, diverse, and economically robust community of more than one million people, with immigrants making up about one-third of the population. The county is adjacent to Washington, D.C. and 30 miles south of Baltimore. The College is governed by a 10-member Board of Trustees appointed by the governor of Maryland. Montgomery College serves 40,000 credit and noncredit-seeking students on three campuses in Germantown, Rockville, and Takoma Park/Silver Spring. It also includes a college-wide Workforce Development and Continuing Education unit, training centers in Gaithersburg and Wheaton, a central administrative services center, community engagement sites, and other off-campus locations.
Montgomery College is a Minority Serving Institution (MSI), a Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI),and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander Serving Institution (AANAPISI). The College is highly visible in the community and enjoys extraordinary support from the Montgomery County government; local representatives of state government; educational, business, and civic leaders; its two foundations; alumni; and the general community. This support has been essential to Montgomery College’s operation as a high-quality, affordable, and accessible higher education institution. The College is widely recognized for the quality and scope of its programs in the arts and humanities, business, engineering and science,
developmental education, health sciences, many career areas, workforce development, and trades.
Reporting to Dr. Michelle Campbell, the Senior Vice President for Advancement and CommunityEngagement, the Executive Director leads, manages, and oversees PIC MC, including the PIC MC Foundation Board and the development of the Pinkney Innovation Complex to support Montgomery College’s strategic plan, vision, and transformational aspirations. To accomplish this, the Executive Director should have:
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- An ability to establish and foster strong relationships with senior leaders, foundation boards, the college and business community, and community-based organizations
- Knowledge of the guidelines pertaining to non-profit organizations, such as 509(a)(3) entities
- Knowledge of varying industries, including but not limited to bioscience, life science, and biotechnology
- Operational knowledge of the real estate development process
- An ability to manage the financial and administrative responsibilities of the PIC MC Foundation
- A commitment to advancing the culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Leading the Montgomery College Pinkney Innovation Complex for Science and Technology (PIC MC) and the PIC MC Foundation, a 509(a)(3) educational foundation.
- Leading, managing, and overseeing assets, including the PIC MC Foundation Board and real estate development of the PIC MC on its Germantown Campus.
- Initiating new projects and providing leadership in support of the creation of an integrated academic, business, and research campus that contributes to student access
to opportunity, completion, and post-completion success.
- Directing the initiatives to market and attract potential resident partners/companies to co-locate in PIC MC.
- Overseeing and leading the development of partnerships between companies, the College, and PIC MC.
- Promoting and stewarding business connections that support the College’s mission related to student success and workforce development.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, such as business administration, finance, non-profit management, public administration, or organizational leadership is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Certified Economic Development professional (CEcD), accredited through the International Economic Development Council (IEDC), is preferred but not required.
- Board management experience is required; 501(c)(3) experience is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will also have direct experience working in higher education, economic and workforce development, urban planning, business development, public/private partnership development, or a related field.
How to Apply
Tracey Weldon and Shelley Sullivan Feather of Greenwood Asher & Associates are assisting Montgomery College in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted. Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood Asher & Associates and should include:
- A letter of interest that clearly states the applicant’s qualifications for the position
- A current résumé/curriculum vitae
- The name, relationship, and email address of five professional references
We strongly encourage submitting application materials as PDF attachments. The search will be conducted with a commitment of confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Shelley Sullivan Feather, Senior Executive Search Consultant and Practice Leader
Tracey Weldon, Vice President of Executive Search