Baltimore Development Corporation
General Description of Work:
The Research Assistant will support the company’s requirements in collecting, analyzing, and reporting on a variety of data needs in order to support the City’s economic development program and redevelopment activities, with efforts focused on the retention and expansion of existing business and attraction of specific targeted businesses to Baltimore City. Additionally, the position will assist in research and analysis for both internal and external stakeholders.
The Baltimore Development Corporation is the economic development arm of the City of Baltimore and is responsible for creating jobs, increasing the tax base, attracting and retaining businesses and acting as a catalyst for the creation of a sustainable economy.
Essential Job Functions/ Duties
- Fulfill research requests from BDC‘s leadership and teams in support of new economic development opportunities being undertaken by BDC/ City of Baltimore.
- Update City of Baltimore data for on-going reports, summaries and marketing
- Assist in the collection, analysis, and reporting of internal BDC databases using a variety of tools such as GIS
- Develop various databases for BDC staff use.
- Research market trends and patterns
- Assist in completing Requests for Information (RFI) from prospective clients or consultants
- Prepare market comparisons of Baltimore against competing and/or benchmark cities and metropolitan areas
- Supporting the creation of innovative research and data reporting on various economic development, workforce development, real estate, and other topics
- Assist in creating a BDC CRM database.
- Ability to prepare reports utilizing narrative and data formats.
- Job duties are subject to change
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- General knowledge of economic development principles and their application
- General knowledge of the City of Baltimore, its economic and business environment
- General knowledge of local, state and federal economic development and related datasets
- Demonstrated research and analytic skills
- Effective communication skills, oral and written, with citizens, professional peers and elected officials in a variety of settings (meetings, events, etc). Ability to prepare written and graphic materials; to compose clear and concise reports; to prepare and make presentations
- Proficient in MS Office in particular MS Excel and MS PowerPoint. Ability to master other software packages used by BDC. Capacity to create and analyze maps using spatial data with multiple layers using ArcGIS a plus.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and prioritize work
- Ability to work as a team player; positive, can do attitude and sense of urgency
- Professionalism while collaborating with varying managerial levels.
- Detail oriented, self-directed, highly motivated, and ability to work in a team environment.
Education and Experience
Four year degree in business, public administration, urban planning or a directly related field and a minimum of direct experience associated with business development in one or more areas such as commercial, manufacturing and industrial development, and/or experience in community planning and development in a municipal environment; or an equivalent combination of experience and additional education or training that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this work. Experience with Maryland projects is preferred.
Project management skills are required. Customer service experience is desirable. Analytical abilities, aptitude in problem-solving and data research experience are highly valued attributes.
Work is performed as required to complete project priorities and may require extended hours beyond a conventional work week.
Baltimore City residency is encouraged for this position.
To apply, submit cover letter and resume to Nancy Jordan-Howard, Chief Operating Officer, email@example.com with “Research Analyst” in the subject line. No Phone Calls Please. Not all applicants will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org