Senior Business Development Manager – EmPower and Small Business
Website Frederick County Government - Office of Economic Development
- Salary: $73,531.00 Annually
- Location: ROOT Building, MD
- Job Type: Full-time Regular
- Department: Office of Economic Development
- Opening Date: 11/14/2023
- Closing Date: 11/30/2023 4:00 PM Eastern
Exempt; full-time; 40 hours per week; Monday – Friday; 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; full benefits
This professional position within the Frederick County Office of Economic Development (FCOED) will lead our EmPOWER program and will be the primary point of contact for underrepresented businesses (women, veterans, LGBTQ, People of Color, People with Disabilities, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian American, Black or African American, Biracial, Hispanic, Latino, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander) needing expansion and location and other economic development services. This position will also support and lead business retention and expansion services for small businesses in Frederick County. Supervision is received from the FCOED Director of Business Retention and Expansion.
Frederick County Government recognizes the principles of diversity and inclusion, and strives to ensure equal opportunities for its workforce, applicants and community members. If you are a person who wants to make a difference, give back to your community, and be a voice for change, apply to Frederick County Government today.
TOTAL COMPENSATION PACKAGE:
Frederick County offers an extensive compensation package to reflect how much we value our employees. The following is what you can expect in your first year as a full time benefited Frederick County Government employee.
- 11 days of Vacation leave with increase after 2 years of employment
- 15 days of Sick leave with unlimited annual carryover
- 11 paid scheduled holidays, plus 2 additional floating holidays
- Day 1 coverage of comprehensive Medical Insurance Plan option to include generous County HSA contribution (if enrolled in the high-deductible plan). This is part of a full range of benefits including Dental, Vision, and Flexible Spending
- 100% County paid 2x annual salary Group Term Life Insurance benefit
- Work/Life balance programs include: Employee Assistance Program and Employee Wellness Program
- Generous Tuition Reimbursement Program
- County and Employee funded Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Vesting after 10 years of service
- Additional service credit for eligible previous public service, military service, etc
- Other employee paid benefits such as Deferred Compensation Plan, Legal Resources, Supplemental Life Insurance, etc.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and further develop FCOED’s EmPOWER program, including strategy development for mentorship,accelerator and educational programs.
- Research to identify best-in-class approaches and identify potential new programs and implement enhancements to current programs.
- Develop and execute a business retention strategy to support, retain and grow underrepresented businesses and small businesses in Frederick County.
- Develop, foster and maintain good working relationships with industry organizations & associations on the local, state and federal level
- Market and promote businesses through press releases, blogs, public presentations and prepare reports
- Meet and work one-on-one with growing businesses to answer questions, address concerns, provide resources, make connections
- Plan and coordinate program events, both virtually and in-person
- Work with FCOED team members to prepare and implement strategies to attract and retain businesses
- Make public presentations and attend committee meetings at local/state/and national level
- Perform other related duties as required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Any single position may not be assigned all duties listed below, nor do the examples cover all duties that may be assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
The qualifications/requirements, knowledge/skills/abilities and physical demands or working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 3 years of economic development, business development or community development work experience
- Minimum 1 year experience (paid or volunteer will be accepted) working with and supporting underrepresented businesses including women, veterans, LGBTQ, People of Color, People with Disabilities, American Indian or Alaska Native, Asian American, Black or African American, Biracial, Hispanic, Latino, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander owned businesses.
- Minimum 1 year work experience in business marketing and social media
- Possession of a valid automobile operator’s license
- NOTE: An additional 2 years of related work experience may reduce the education requirement to an Associate’s degree
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain County Authorized Driver privileges
- Knowledge of programs and resources for underrepresented businesses
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues surrounding access, equity, diversity inclusion and belonging
- Strong organizational skills, including the ability to work independently and effectively, handle multiple priorities, complete detailed projects within allotted time schedules, make independent decisions and exercise good judgment, and resolve conflicting positions and controversial issues
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with elected and appointed officials, business executives, related professionals, co-workers and the general public
- Strong business development skills and writing skills for social media and traditional marketing (i.e. brochures, advertisements, or a newsletter)
- Willingness to learn the commercial and industrial real estate market to guide businesses to brokers and or specific sites or vacant buildings
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office Suite, Salesforce, social media for business, etc.
- Strong and effective spoken and written (English) communication skills, including public speaking skills
PREFERENCE MAY BE GIVEN FOR:
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) or equivalent industry-recognized certifications
- Fluent bilingual skills in English/Spanish
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS ANDWORKING CONDITIONS:
- While working in this position, the employee is required to frequently walk, sit; occasionally lift up to 20 pounds and drive; rarely climb, stoop/kneel and pull up to 40 pounds
- While working in the position, the employee is constantly working indoors and outdoors; and rarely walking on uneven ground, work in hot temperatures above 100 and cold temperatures below 32 degrees; and rarely walk on uneven grounds; work in dirty dusty and noisy environments and work near machinery.
- While working in this position, the employee will be required to meet at businesses and periodically tour businesses. These sites may be indoor, outdoor, include walking on uneven ground and climbing stairs. Exposure to dirty, dust, noise and machinery/construction equipment may also occur.
- While working in this position, the employee will be required to transport, carry and setup exhibit booths and materials. This may include pushing or pulling of the exhibit display case, carrying boxes of materials, and reaching, stooping, kneeling and crouching in order to set up the display area
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION / EXAMINATION PROCESS
- Ability to provide own transportation
- Available for varied working hours/days as needed to accommodate meetings and other commitments, including evenings and occasional weekends or travel
EXAMINATION PROCESS (may include):
1) An evaluation of training and experience
2) One or more interviews
This description reflects management’s assignment of essential duties; it does not proscribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
To apply for this job please visit www.governmentjobs.com.