Vice President of Strategy and Innovation
The Vice President of Strategy and Innovation is an exempt, full-time position and serves as a key member of the MCEDC’s executive team. This position reports to the Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer and has three primary areas of responsibility for the organization.
Montgomery County Comprehensive Economic Plan and MCEDC’s Strategy: the VP of Strategy and Innovation serves as the point person for conceptualizing, developing, updating, and monitoring the county’s Comprehensive Economic Plan. To support this effort, this individual will manage and coordinate the efforts of MCEDC’s dedicated staff resources, county departments and outside experts. The Vice President of Strategy and Innovation will also lead the development of MCEDC’s annual workplan.
Business Research and Analysis: The VP of Strategy and Innovation will manage MCEDC’s business research and analysis staff to provide both internal support for its economic development projects and support to outside organizations working in partnership with MCEDC.
MCEDC Innovation Initiatives: The VP of Strategy and Innovation will direct the Strategic Initiatives team’s innovation projects, programs and incubator focused initiatives which test and support new or missing opportunities to strengthen Montgomery County’s economic sustainability and business diversification.
The VP of Strategy and Innovation will oversee organizational partnerships in conjunction with the Senior Vice President for Business Development and coordinate MCEDC’s outreach around these partnerships along with its strategic initiative projects. The individual will ensure organizational-wide alignment.
▪ Provide strategic guidance and counsel to the Senior Leadership Team around economic development trends
▪ Identify industry/local economic/political trends early and conceptualize creative actionable items or responses
▪ Use data and stakeholder input to collaboratively create multi-year strategic plans and ensure that shorter-term business development, marketing and project plans support and integrate with long-term objectives
▪ Lead brainstorming activities, focus groups, and strategy conversations that result in new research projects, business development solutions or marketing/outreach activities
▪ Facilitate long-term projects in an efficient, cost-effective and diligent manner
▪ Lead senior staff in identifying ways to deploy MCEDC’s resources, invest public funds, and leverage private investments
▪ Recognize and creatively solve strategic misalignments across organizational departments
▪ Ensure that project management tools and best practices are deployed for all programs
▪ Represent the organization on councils, in the media, on boards, and participate on task forces and workgroups as needed
▪ Monitor and evaluate public policy issues as they impact economic development
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
▪ Energetic, pro-active, and interdisciplinary minded
▪ Strong project management skills
▪ Demonstrated ability to be a hands-on leader with the capacity to mentor and develop others
▪ Experience developing strategies, making recommendations, and building consensus across stakeholder groups
▪ Demonstrated ability to cultivate relationships that support organizational objectives
▪ Experience developing, managing, and completing high-visibility projects in a cross-functional team environment, whether working as a team member or a team leader
▪ Experience with public-private partnerships, community and economic development, advocacy, budgeting, grant-writing, and communications/public speaking
▪ Comfort interfacing with elected officials and business leaders
▪ Superb communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen actively and present clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations, and to respond well to questions
▪ Writes clearly and informatively and varies writing style to meet needs
▪ Strategic thinker with the capacity to generate new ideas and act creatively
▪ Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, to meet tight deadlines within budgetary constraints, and to handle multiple projects simultaneously and autonomously
Preferred education and experience:
▪ Experience working in economic, or community development, and/or business strategy
▪ Experience working in an entrepreneurial environment
▪ Master’s degree
▪ 10+ years of relevant experience
▪ Familiarity with standard office equipment and systems
Description of physical demands and work environment:
▪ Must be able to travel throughout the county to companies, partner organizations, meetings, and events
▪ Must be able to occasionally travel outside of the region
▪ Must be able to use office equipment and computers
▪ Position may require moderate lifting of supplies and materials from time to time
▪ The working environment is a general office environment with a moderate noise level
Job Type: Full-time, Exempt
Job Location: Hybrid/Montgomery County, MD
Required education: Master’s degree
Required experience: 10+ years of relevant experience
Salary: $150k – $170k
Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.