2018 Poplar Island Tour
- This event has passed.
MEDA and Leadership Maryland have partnered to organize a tour of Poplar Island on Wednesday, June 27th. This tour is free and open to MEDA and Leadership Maryland members only. Spots are limited, so be sure to register fast!
About Poplar Island
Poplar Island, located in Talbot County, Maryland, is estimated to have comprised 1,140 acres in 1847, supporting more than 100 human residents and a diverse wildlife population. Extensive erosion reduced the island to five acres by the 1990s.
In 1994, a team of federal and state environmental agencies—including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Maryland Port Administration—launched plans to restore the island to its historic size. Today, Poplar Island is an international model for the beneficial use of dredged material.
By using the most modern technology, wetland, and upland habitats have been integrated into the island restoration from the outset of the project. Poplar Island already serves as a wintering site, transient stop, and nesting location for local and migratory wildfowl. It also provides shelter and quiet water habitats for diamondback terrapins, crabs, rockfish, and killifish. For more information on Poplar Island, click here.
Please realize that Poplar Island is an active construction site. Following the safety regulations is a must:
- All posted signs and verbal notices must be obeyed.
- Alcohol is prohibited.
- Pets are prohibited.
- The group must stay together at all times.
- Poplar Island is open to the public through prior arrangement only.
- All participants are required to wear a life jacket (provided). Visitors under 50 lbs. must provide their own life jackets.
- Our tour boat has a strict 24-passenger limit.
To make the tour enjoyable for all participants, please take the following into consideration:
- Participants must be prepared to board a boat and climb a few steps; however the amount of walking is minimal.
- Tours run rain or shine. However, in the event of severe weather we may need to cancel the tour, in which case we will contact you as soon as a decision has been made.
- The boat will depart promptly at 9 a.m. Please plan on arriving 10-15 minutes early. Please make sure you arrive on time so that you are not left behind. We cannot allow alternative boat transportation to dock on Poplar Island.
- The tour does not include a designated lunch break but feel free to bring snacks.
- Tours can be enjoyed by people of all ages, but please keep in mind that some of the topics covered are slightly advanced for our younger visitors.
For Directions to Poplar Island from the East, click here.
For Directions to Poplar Island from the West, click here.
Thank you to the Maryland Environmental Service (MES) for helping set up this tour!
June 27, 2018 @ 8:00 am - 1:00 pm