Members’ Corner: Troy A. LeMaile-Stovall
Name, Title, Organization
Troy A. LeMaile-Stovall, CEO-TEDCO
Explain your background in economic development
TEDCO provides funding, business resources, and connections that early-stage technology and life sciences companies need to thrive in Maryland. We seek to scale and stitch Maryland’s ecosystem to ensure we can tell the story of Maryland’s technology and life sciences ecosystem, and to ensure more resources are available to scale and stitch to an even greater degree. We intend for this to ensure a higher level of stickiness for companies to start, grow, and scale in Maryland.
What are your key priorities within your current position?
To ensure TEDCO has the right talent, resources, and strategy to meet its investment and business support goals for the ecosystem.
Does one particular project spark your excitement? If so, describe it below.
There are two:
- Through our $50M SSBCI allocation, we will be investors in 3-4 VC firms led by women, people of color and/or first-time investors, make social impact investments, and provide “dry powder” for our Seed and Venture Funds; and
- Legislative leadership has asked us to lead a statewide study to ensure Maryland’s long-term leadership in early-stage technologies. The study should lead to a $500M, 10-year Equitech Growth Fund.
What professional pressures keep you up at night?
That we are moving fast enough with enough resources to invest in the personal and professional development of our TEDCO colleagues. Also, the need to truly understand how to express appreciation at an individual level.
What attributes are unique to your community?
Passion, commitment, and willingness to embrace the unknown.
What are your locality’s top three “selling points” for future growth?
1. Committed and talented workforce
2. Ability to embrace innovation
3. Commitment to diversity and inclusion
If you could wave a magic wand, what would you want to work with MEDA on to move Maryland forward?
Stitching and scaling Maryland’s entities and efforts to create focus, scale, and outcomes.
Is there anything else you’d like to share with MEDA and your fellow members?
Just thanks for all MEDA does and will do!
Please include any personal background information that you’d like to share (Alma mater, Military Service, hobbies, etc)
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from Southern Methodist University
- Master of Science in Computer Science from Stanford University
- MBA from Harvard University
- Hobbies: Running, Triathlons, Music (Jazz/R&B)